Ticket of the month - January 2023 - DOI submissions using OJS (Open Journal Systems)

Many of our members use OJS for depositing DOIs for articles into our system. This simplifies the process of registering metadata for each DOI as the complete metadata is already available in OJS. If you want this process to run smoothly and avoid errors, make sure all of these components are working well and configured correctly:

• OJS version. Some OJS versions have bugs or issues that affect the process of submitting DOIs metadata to our system, so make sure you have installed a recent OJS version. For example, if you are using a OJS version 2.x is more likely to have a bug than if you are using a version 3.x. If you use a recent version of OJS not only you avoid any potential bugs that are already corrected, but also you will use a newer version of Crossref Metadata Schema.

ÂżHow can I check which OJS version my journal has?

If you want to check which OJS version are you using, right click on any of the OJS pages and select the option “View Page Source”:

Then you will see some code lines and you will find the OJS version in front of the HTML tag called <meta name=“generator”:

Finally, if you want to know which is the most recent OJS version, please visit PKP website: Download and Install OJS - Public Knowledge Project

• DOI Plugin. It is important to note that you have to construct DOIs for yourself. I mean, you have to tell OJS how you want the system to generate DOIs. This is done setting up the DOI Plugin. Remember to follow the Crossref guidelines about constructing DOIs.

ÂżWhere can I find the DOI plugin settings in my OJS?

You will find DOI plugin navigating to >> Website >> Plugins >> Installed Plugins:

Make sure the plugin is enabled, and then click on >> Settings:

You can find a complete guide about configuring the DOI plugin here: Using DOIs and the DOI Plugin

• Crossref Plugin. Now that you have a recent OJS version and DOI plugin is enabled and configured correctly, it’s time to set up the Crossref XML Export Plugin for OJS.

Depositor name: Name of the person or organization who is responsible for depositing DOIs to Crossref, usually is the technical contact of the journal.

Depositor email: Email of the person who is responsible for depositing DOI to Crossref. If a submission has been sent to our system, we will send an automatic confirmation to this email, so make sure you have access to that inbox account.

Username: make sure you include your user credentials (email address), a slash (/) and then the legacy role. For example: support@crossref.org/andplus (Note: this must be an email address that is configured by Crossref for use in content registration)

Password: Same password you use to log-in into our system at doi.crossref.org

Most of the common problems reported by OJS users are because they are not using the legacy role in the username field or because the password provided is wrong, so make sure both fields are correct (pro tip: sometimes we find that members are copying and pasting their credentials from a rich-text editor like Microsoft Word; be careful in these situations that you’re not including a leading or trailing blank space in your credentials; because of this, it is best to type your credentials into the plugin). If you want to double check if the credentials are fine, please log-in to our system doi.crossref.org to confirm the credentials are working as anticipated. If you can log-in into our DOI system, then you can fill in the Crossref plugin with the same username and password, and you are ready to deposit DOIs!

ÂżWhere can I find the Crossref XML Export Plugin in my OJS?

You will find the Crossref XML Export Plugin navigating to Tools > Import/Export > Crossref XML Export Plugin.

More information:

https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/crossref-ojs-manual/en/

• Crossref Status.

Why am I still getting errors or not being able to deposit my DOI(s) using OJS?

Well, there are a number of reasons that could cause troubles registering DOI using OJS, so in that case you would need to double check if the problem is your OJS instance, any mistake in your metadata, or some trouble at our end.

If you think your OJS instance and the plugins are configured correctly, I would recommend logging in doi.crossref.org using your Crossref credentials to check if the metadata has been sent from your OJS to our system.

If you don’t see any submissions, then you will need to contact your OJS administrator to find out why your OJS instance is not sending metadata to Crossref.

If you see submissions in your queue, but there is an error you will need to copy the submission ID and write to us, so we can investigate further and provide you assistance in each case.

Do you still have questions?

It’s important to note that OJS is not a Crossref system, so we’re limited in how much we can troubleshoot its use. We’ll do our best, but sometimes the experts at PKP are best equipped to answer OJS-specific questions. Thus, if you still have questions about OJS or the process of submitting DOIs using OJS, please refer to:

PKP’s Crossref OJS Manual: Crossref OJS 3.2+ Manual

PKP Community Forum: https://forum.pkp.sfu.ca/

Contact the Support team at PKP: Contact Us - Public Knowledge Project

6 Likes

Very useful and informative post, thanks Arley for this.

3 Likes