A Registry of Editorial Boards - a new trust signal for scholarly communications? - Crossref

Perhaps, like us, you’ve noticed that it is not always easy to find information on who is on a journal’s editorial board and, when you do, it is often unclear when it was last updated. The editorial board details might be displayed in multiple places (such as the publisher’s website and the platform where the content is hosted) which may or may not be in sync and retrieving this information for any kind of analysis always requires manually checking and exporting the data from a website (as illustrated by the Open Editors research and its dataset).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://0-www-crossref-org.library.alliant.edu/blog/a-registry-of-editorial-boards-a-new-trust-signal-for-scholarly-communications/
4 Likes

Thanks, well received.

1 Like

Very important to publishing

3 Likes

First of all, I congratulate the person or team behind this idea.

Crossref have pointed the important topic. I hope many problems of the editors will be solved by a registry of Editorial Boards. It is really a challenging to maintain the records of past editors. Some past editors continue to use the designation even they are not on the Editorial board, may be intentionally or unintentionally. I hope that this registry will add many features to solve the problems and help to maintain the transparency in Editorial board.

All the best!

3 Likes

Nice idea,
Looking forward to the outcomes

2 Likes

I believe that innovations will increase efficiency.

Kind regards.

Maimuna Nimulola via Crossref Community Forum <crossref@discoursemail.com>, 12 Mar 2022 Cmt, 09:06 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

3 Likes

One of our sponsored member clients has filled in the survey form after the closing date. Will their input still be considered?

1 Like

Hi @rhiannon-ppl - we kept the Registry of Editorial Boards survey open for a little longer than advertised and your sponsored member’s input will be considered.

2 Likes

Good afternoon! Sorry to bother, posted about this before. Our organization needs to become a member of Crossrеf in order to acquire DОI for articles in the journal Economics and Statistics.

help us please

thank you in advance

чт, 21 апр. 2022 г. в 17:08, Fabienne Michaud via Crossref Community Forum <notifications@crossref.discoursemail.com>:

Hi there

Thank you for your interest in Crossref membership. Here is some general information on membership, and on how to apply.

Background information

You need to be a member of the Crossref organization in order to get a DOI prefix so you can create Crossref DOIs and register content. Membership of Crossref is open to organizations who publish scholarly content - if your content is likely to be cited in the scholarly ecosystem, then you are eligible to join. You need to apply in the name of your parent publishing organization, rather than in the name of your individual journal or conference. You’ll then be able to use this single member account to register DOIs for all the content that your organization publishes.

As a member, you have obligations to your fellow members and the wider scholarly community - these include registering your content with us (so registering a DOI, a resource resolution URL, and a lot of other metadata), keeping that metadata up-to-date, and displaying your DOIs on the landing page for your content items. The landing page needs to include a full bibliographic citation for the content you are registering and a way to access the full text of the content. You also need to ensure that you use DOIs in your article references. When you join, you agree to the membership terms outlined on our website here.

In return, you join a community of publishers who are all linking to each other persistently through their references. Your metadata is shared with hundreds of organizations in the scholarly ecosystem, and you are able to take advantage of Crossref services (content registration, the Funder Registry, Similarity Check, Cited-by and Crossmark). And, of course, you’re able to create a persistent identifier for each citable object that you publish.

Fees

There’s an annual membership fee, which varies depending on your publishing revenue. As a guide, the lowest tier is USD 275 per year for organizations with publishing revenue lower than USD 1 million. If you don’t have revenue for your publishing, we look at publishing expenditure. The fees are the same for commercial and not-for-profit publishers.

In addition to your annual membership fee, we also charge content registration fees in the form of a one-off fee for each DOI you register with us. These fees vary depending on the type of content you register and whether the publication date is current or backfile but, as a guide, the cost to deposit a current journal article (published this year or in the two previous calendar years) is USD 1. These content registration fees are usually billed quarterly in arrears. Once an item is registered, there’s no further charge to update the metadata associated with it.

You can find full details of the annual membership fee and content registration fees on our website.

How to join and what happens next

There are a few steps to joining and it usually takes a week or so to complete the process, depending on how many extra questions we have to ask you after receiving your application. We send you a pro-rated membership invoice to cover your membership fee for the remaining months of the current year. Once you have paid your prorated membership fee, we provide you with a DOI prefix. You then use this prefix to create full DOIs for your journals and articles, and register them with us by providing the URL for the content and a lot of other metadata. This can be done via an online form, or by submitting XML - you can read more about the options here.

To apply, please complete the membership application form on our website.

Do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Sal

1 Like

Please enter the crossref page and read membership rules then maket the payment.

Kimden: Gulnar via Crossref Community Forum notifications@crossref.discoursemail.com
Tarih: 28 Nisan 2022 Perşembe 08:13
Kime: fatimazumra2017@gmail.com
Konu: [The Crossref Community Forum] [Questions from Crossref] A Registry of Editorial Boards - a new trust signal for scholarly communications? - Crossref

|

Gulnar
April 28

|

• | - |

Good afternoon! Sorry to bother, posted about this before. Our organization needs to become a member of Crossrеf in order to acquire DОI for articles in the journal Economics and Statistics.

help us please

thank you in advance

чт, 21 апр. 2022 г. в 17:08, Fabienne Michaud via Crossref Community Forum <notifications@crossref.discoursemail.com>:

1 Like

Thank you

Pada tanggal Jum, 29 Apr 2022 15:23, fatıma zümra kahya via Crossref Community Forum <notifications@crossref.discoursemail.com> menulis:

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like
good night
please guide, how to get DOI code..?
we from edulec publisher are having trouble getting the DOI code..

Pada tanggal Sab, 30 Apr 2022 pukul 03.44 Mohammad Khalid Khawrin via Crossref Community Forum <notifications@crossref.discoursemail.com> menulis:

Is there any progress on registry of editorial boards?
May we know outcome of the survey?
Thank you.

Registry of editorial is great idea. That will become fruitfully conclusive if it is linked with journals, publisher and articles.
However, it may become a challenge to rationalize the information. As I’m added as editorial of with my consent and permission at Taha Nazir | Longdom Publishing SL
I have multiple time to long dome, google and hosting company (godaddy.com) to remove my information.
So, we should address spamming and scamming at all possible level.

2 Likes

Registry of Editorial Boards: update

In March 2022, we put out a call for feedback on a proposal for Crossref to create a Registry of Editorial Boards, with the aim of encouraging best practice around editorial boards’ information and governance that can easily be accessed and used by the community.

Firstly, thanks to all of you who took the time to give feedback on our idea. We had some very positive comments along the lines of:

Some more cautious:

And some cautioning against creating more bureaucracy and barriers to entry for publications, publishers and editors:

This variety of responses was reflected in the survey responses we received.

We owe you an update.

We’ve been evaluating your feedback and discussing the ‘how’. We have also been progressing other strands of work around the Integrity of the Scholarly Record (ISR). And we’ve been talking to other groups who are working on complementary initiatives so that we don’t duplicate effort.

We have also been working on a ton of other stuff. Prioritization is not our forte, especially when everything feels important (we’re working on that too). Due to that, we’re pausing this work until we can dedicate the necessary time and resources to it, and will revisit where we stand in mid-2023. That doesn’t mean we’re totally abandoning it – it remains on the radar for our Labs team and Dominika, our Head of Strategic Initiatives has joined the advisory board for the Journal Observatory Project who are building an infrastructure to allow different sources like TRANSPOSE, DOAJ, and others (maybe us) to assert everything they have about journals. We’re also talking with PKP about their Publication Facts project.

For those supportive of the project, sorry this might not be the news you were hoping for, but we want to be realistic about what we can achieve in the next few years and what we can get on with right away. For those less supportive, we’ve heard your concerns and will bear them in mind when we come back to this or other similar projects. I want to say ‘watch this space’, we’ll be watching a few spaces and seeing how, where and when we can continue to support efforts around the integrity of the scholarly record.

2 Likes

I appreciate the distinction made between disambiguation and verification. While author identification without verification has some utility in the case of ORCiD, verification would be table stakes for an editorial board registry.

4 Likes

Dear @sallyjennings,

thank you for explanation. That is all well known and well presented on the website. Could you inform me to whom I can send mail for information about our membership? We filled membership application form, almost 3 weeks ago, and still did not have response. This is not first time to apply. I am also CrossRef Ambassador and whole process was not strange for me. This is first time that we still do not receive any information. Do we need to apply again?
Thank you in advance.
Lazar Stosic

Hi Lazar

Thank you for your message via the forum regarding a Crossref membership application to which you have not yet received a response. This does seem unusual.

Could you email me at member@crossref.org confirming the organization in whose name the application was submitted and the email address of the person who made the application? I’ll then be able to track it down in our system and provide an update.

Best wishes

Sal