Unique DOIs that failed at handle 33

Hello, we have received the report below. Please clarify that and what is meant by Unique DOIs that failed at handle 33 , noting that we only had registered 31 DOI. Why do these failed DOIs to appear and the number is greater than the DOIs? and how to solve it please?

Resolutions by the numbers
This section of the report provides the resolution counts for the report prefix.
Resolutions attempts 208
Resolved at Handle 101
Handle Failures 107
Resolved at local link server 0
Unique DOIs attempted 80
Unique DOIs resolved at handle 47
Unique DOIs that failed at handle 33
Unique DOIs resolved at local link server 0

Hi @Yousifkit ,

Thanks for your message, and welcome to the Community Forum.

The report you are referencing is called our resolution report. This report and your message above shows the number of successful and failed DOI resolutions for the previous month. So, this is measuring resolutions, or clicks, of the DOIs you have registered with us (successful resolutions) and clicks of DOI strings that have not been registered with us (failed resolutions).

Can you provide me with your DOI prefix, so I can take a closer look at your registrations? Once I have that, I can give you a proper breakdown of what these numbers mean.

Thanks in advance,
Isaac

Hi Isaac

Thank you for your reply and help. Our DOI prefix,

10.55998/jsrse.v33i1.

I will be thankful for your help.
best regards,
Yousif

Thank you @Yousifkit ! Your DOI prefix is the first half of the DOI. Your DOI prefix is: 10.55998

I’m going to include a screenshot of your most recent resolution report, so I can reference in my explanation below.

The resolution report is a very simple report. There’s a lot of information within it, but at its core all it is is a count of clicks of DOIs registered (or, not registered in the case of failure counts and the attached failed .csv file) on your prefix (10.55998).

Let’s take a look at an example of a:

1. Successful resolution - a registered DOI - 10.55998/JSRSE.V32I2.356 - the DOI on your resolution report that was resolved or clicked the most (9 times) during the month of July 2023
  2. Failed resolution - an unregistered DOI - 10.55998/JSRSE.V33I1.374 - the unregistered DOI on your resolution report that was resolved or clicked the most (15 times) during the month of July 2023

So, the section of your report called the resolutions by the numbers means this:

Resolutions attempts 208 - there were 208 total resolution attempts or clicks of all DOIs (registered and unregistered) on prefix 10.55998 during the month of July 2023 (9 of those clicks (successful) belonged to registered DOI 10.55998/JSRSE.V32I2.356 ; while 15 of those clicks (failed) belonged to unregistered DOI 10.55998/JSRSE.V33I1.374

Resolved at Handle 101 - these are the successful resolutions; of the 208 clicks, 101 resolved to a landing page for a DOI that has been registered with us (e.g., 10.55998/JSRSE.V32I2.356)

Handle Failures 107 - these are the failed resolutions; of the 208 clicks, 107 of those clicks failed to resolve to a landing page because the DOIs attempting to be resolved failed (they were not registered with Crossref at the time of the resolution), so the person clicking those unregistered DOIs would have seen the DOI NOT FOUND error page on doi.org (e.g., 10.55998/JSRSE.V33I1.374)

Unique DOIs attempted 80 - during the month of July 2023, 80 total unique DOIs (registered and unregistered) were clicked

Unique DOIs resolved at handle 47 - of those 80 unique DOIs that were clicked on prefix 10.55998 during the month of July 2023, 47 of those unique DOIs resolved to a landing page for a DOI that has been registered with us (e.g., 10.55998/JSRSE.V32I2.356)

Unique DOIs that failed at handle 33 - of those 80 unique DOIs that were clicked on prefix 10.55998 during the month of July 2023, 33 of those unique DOIs did not resolve to a landing page because the DOIs attempting to be resolved failed (they were not registered with Crossref at the time of the resolution), so the person clicking those unregistered DOIs would have seen the DOI NOT FOUND error page on doi.org (e.g., 10.55998/JSRSE.V33I1.374)

So, if any of the DOIs that are appearing on your failed .csv file are DOIs that you thought you registered and/or should be registered, try resolving them, like this: https://doi.org/10.55998/JSRSE.V33I1.374. If the DOI link resolves to a DOI NOT FOUND error page on doi.org, it means your DOI is not registered today. And, you should register it (again, if it is a legitimate DOI that should be registered).

Note: For most members who have readers of their content, there will be failed resolutions in your monthly resolution report. That’s not necessarily a sign that you’re doing anything wrong; humans and machines make mistakes when resolving DOIs. For example, end users may add characters after the legitimate DOI (e.g., . , -) when resolving. So, let’s I try to resolve DOI 10.55998/JSRSE.V32I2.356 , but while doing so I make a mistake and accidentally type in extra characters, I am going to generate an error when I resolve that DOI. That’s why it’s important that you review the failed .csv report. If you see legitimate DOIs in that report, take action to confirm and then register those DOIs.

Relatedly, Yousifkit, I have looked at your attempted DOI registrations for the year and I don’t see any failed submissions to doi.crossref.org to register DOI 10.55998/JSRSE.V33I1.374.

-Isaac